Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cheese and Other Foods that Make Diabetes Worse


Since my mom was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in January 2012, I started to pay attention more to how to manage and even reverse diabetes with a plant-based diet. When I first heard of her diagnosis, I felt like it was inevitable that I would have the same diagnosis soon. My health had been on the decline for a few years already and I wasn't quite ready to make my change yet.

Once I changed my lifestyle a full six weeks later, I learned more benefits of a plant-based diet and started to share the information with my mom. Of course, it really sucks to hear that you shouldn't be eating all of the things you've been eating for half a century, but in time she started to absorb the information.

Below is a quick five-minute video on foods that diabetics should avoid and which foods they should strive to eat. Dr. Neal Barnard, author of Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes, and also the founder of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), has been a strong supporter of a vegan diet. Check it out below!



Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.