Monday, August 27, 2012

How a Vegan Celebrates a Birthday


During the days leading up to my husband's 25th birthday, there was much discussion about the food we should eat. My husband and I have not been able to visit our hometown lately due to our busy work schedules (yay for adulthood!), and so it's quite an event when we do come into town. Luckily, both of our immediate families are within a five mile radius of each other, so our trip becomes more of a reunion the entire weekend.

My mom called that week and asked if it would be good to serve quail during my husband's birthday dinner. At this point, my husband was what I like to call a "quiet" vegan. He was totally on board with my veganism (and has seen his own great results), but was not shouting it from the rooftops like me. I told mom that no, he probably wouldn't enjoy quail for dinner, and that I would take care of coordinating the meal that night. I also knew he wouldn't be able to eat any cake from the nearby stores in our hometown since it's unheard of to make a cake without an egg or two, so I started to search for another option.

At the last minute, I found a couple of stuffed pepper ideas and started to consider substitutions for them (quinoa for white rice, adding veggies instead of meats). Then I pinned some neat ideas for his vegan birthday cake and settled on making one out of fruit! I packed my bags and loaded the car with our vegan-friendly foods and headed out of Austin, Texas to our hometown about an hour south of Houston.

The next night, I looked around the kitchen in amazement as most of our family members worked together on creating a big vegan meal. I was stunned to see how excited they were about the food and was thrilled to show them what a tasty vegan meal looks like! Before we sat down to eat, we whipped up a fruit cake in less than 20 minutes and I was quite proud of the finished product.

Overall, my husband's birthday was a success. We were able to spend some quality time in the kitchen with our families, create a fruit cake masterpiece from scratch, share some delicious food and spread a little more invaluable knowledge about our lifestyle. I can only hope that our food choices will help impact the rest of our family and lead them to the same conclusions that we've come to embrace!




Looking to go vegan? Check out these related posts below!

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!