Sunday, August 19, 2012

Vegan Book Review: Kathy Freston's Veganist


I had been making trips to my local discount bookstore in search of more knowledge on veganism when I stumbled upon Kathy Freston's fairly new book, Veganist. A couple of months ago, I wasn't really looking for anything in particular to read, but just curious about why other people were going vegan. There's tons of reasons why people decide to change their lifestyle, and I always love to learn more about this topic.

After finishing a few other books, I finally had some time to dedicate to Veganist. The book was gentle and kind, not forceful or brash. I felt like the author really wanted to convey the positive benefits of veganism and celebrated any changes that her readers made, no matter how big or small. She also repeats the concept of "leaning" into the lifestyle of veganism and breaks the book down into 10 promises.

I've already loaned this book out to a coworker since I was so influenced by it. Even though I had already committed myself to veganism, I was struggling with a cheese relapse and it helped me understand why I didn't want to continue eating that dairy product. Freston was recently on Ellen in April 2012 talking about her new book, The Lean. I may have to go pick up a copy of that one, as well!

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!