Friday, August 3, 2012

Vegan Docs: Forks Over Knives


Forks Over Knives is the film that started it all (for me)! I probably watched this for the first time nearly a year ago. I knew I wasn't in good health and I knew I needed to make a change. I was definitely impacted by the movie, but you have to be ready to embrace the information completely and accept that it's time to make a change. Unfortunately, I was not ready to make my change yet.

Then I watched it again as a refresher in early February 2012. It was all making sense to me, yet I still wasn't sure how to go from fast food to a plant-based diet. The transition seemed so scary to me. A couple of weeks later, I was in my doctor's office for my yearly checkup. I stepped on the scale and made a face. "There's no way that can be right," I thought to myself. How did I gain 25 lbs. in less than four years?!

I already knew the answer. My husband lovingly (and jokingly) refers to the previous two years of my life as being on the "Netflix Diet". I had no problem making an unhealthy food (mac n' cheese, anyone?) and then plopping on the couch to watch a movie. This just wasn't working for me anymore. And it obviously helped me pack on the pounds. After this jolt of reality, I was more than ready to embrace the change.

I had no idea where to start, but I watched the movie for a third time and just decided to jump in with both feet. Cold turkey (excuse the pun). It wasn't easy and my journey is no where near complete, but every day I'm learning more and it's all starting to make so much more sense. What if what we are eating was actually slowly killing us?! Sounds crazy, right? It's not hard to understand why everyone you know is having strokes, heart attacks, on high blood pressure medication, high cholesterol medication and even cancer seems to be popping up more often.

I urge you to take the time and watch this movie (for free!) on Hulu below. It's an amazing resource that can start you on a journey in taking charge of your own health. There's even a great companion book to help you get started and a cookbook. Take note of how you feel today. If you aren't loving life and feeling amazing, then at least consider watching this!




Looking to go vegan? Check out these related posts below!

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!