Sunday, September 2, 2012

Baked Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes


Early on in my journey, I watched the Engine 2 Diet Kitchen Rescue which features Rip Esselstyn helping out two families as they transition to a plant-strong lifestyle. There are several awesome recipes that are in the movie, but one caught my eye: the roasted potatoes. It sounds so simple, right? I like simple—I was not an amazing cook at first and I didn't want to complicate things!

I soon bought a bag of baby Dutch yellow potatoes and made up my own recipe. Since I cut out oils from my diet, there was no reason to slather on olive oil as I might have before my lifestyle change. Instead, I went ahead and used vegetable broth to toss these potatoes with the seasonings. The results were fabulous. Did I mention that this is super easy and takes less than 10 minutes to prep? If I'm ever stuck on what to make for a side dish one night, this is an easy fix.

Baked Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes
Yields 6 cups

1/2 of small bag of baby Dutch yellow potatoes
1/2 cup vegetable broth to toss, plus 1/4 cup after baked
1tsp. Italian seasoning

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cut potatoes into bite-size pieces.
2. Combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and gently toss the potatoes until covered completely in seasoning.
3. Bake the seasoned potatoes for 20 minutes, turning the pieces over after ten minutes.
4. Place the baked potatoes into a ceramic dish, add the 1/4 cup of vegetable broth and return to oven for another 5 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!