Monday, September 3, 2012

DIY Homemade Dishwasher Detergent


I've been trying to find ways to be more eco-friendly around the house. This goal has resulted in some small changes with a big impact. For example, I noticed I was going through way too many paper towels in the kitchen. A spill on the counter usually had me reaching for a paper towel. Did I mention I am a messy cook? I blame it on my novice skills in the kitchen, but I knew I was going through too many.

In an effort to lighten my carbon footprint (besides going vegan, which is also super eco-friendly!), I switched to Method hand soap and dish soap, made my own batch of laundry detergent and even starting using washcloths to wipe up spills before tossing them into the laundry.

While washing dishes one day soon after, I realized my dishwasher detergent bottle was almost empty and hopped on to the good ole' internet to find an eco-friendly alternative that I could make myself. I quickly found one and was delighted at how easy it was to make. Luckily, I had the ingredients on hand since I had recently made my own laundry detergent. Add a few drops of essential oil to give an awesome scent. I used lemongrass and it smells like candy every time I do dishes!

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent
yields 64 loads of dishes

2 cups 20 Mule Borax
2 cups Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
6 drops of an essential oil (optional)

1. Place contents into a storage container and blend well with wooden spoon.
2. Use 1 tbsp. or a per load of dishes. (Pro tip: I use half of a shot glass!)
3. Enjoy clean dishes.


Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

1 comment:

  1. I want to assure the other readers that it really helps! I tried it yesterday and I love the final results!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!