Sunday, September 23, 2012

Results for Vegan Diet to Improve Bloodwork


I've recently received my results from my third set of bloodwork tests in the last two years. My only regret when I started this lifestyle change was that I did not draw blood for all of these tests to see where I actually started. So, how did I do? Well, my liver is no longer in any danger, and is in fact well beyond optimal. Check out my numbers below and see how a vegan diet can help lower all of your bloodwork numbers!

Date Sugar Cholesterol HDL "Good" Cholesterol LDL "Bad" Cholesterol Triglicerides ALT Liver Function
1/6/2011 98 219 57 142 102 89
6/5/2012 94 140 40 84 80 25
9/14/2012 83 140 44 78 91 17
TOTAL -15 -79 -13 -64 -11 -72

I'd like to point out that I was concerned with my first set of numbers but set aside all worry and ate terribly for another 13 months before making my lifestyle change. The one number that worried me in January 2011 was my ALT Liver Function. Normal range is 11-43 and mine was a horrendous 89. There has been a huge improvement since then and I consider myself lucky that I made this change before it was too late. 

My cholesterol dropped by nearly 80 points, which is quite an accomplishment. Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn considers a cholesterol under 150 as "heart-attack proof". There was also an improvement in my LDL "Bad" Cholesterol, with a total drop of 64 points. Overall, I'm pleased with my results not only physically, but obviously internally, as well. These numbers gave me even more confidence in what I'm doing and I hope that you all can see that it is possible to restore your health with a plant-based diet. 

What started as a motivation after stepping on the scale has ended with a satisfaction of lowering numbers and reaping the benefits. I've lost over 27 lbs., successfully corrected my cholesterol levels and reversed any further damage to my liver. I hope to serve as an inspiration for others and want anyone else to know that being young does not mean that you are bullet proof. Even in my mid-20s, I never expected to encounter such scary results in the beginning.

I am thankful to have found the invaluable information presented in Forks Over Knives to open my eyes to the dangers of eating the way that I used to. Thanks to Dr. Linda Carney for her guidance and support during my change and to all of the support I have received from my family, friends and coworkers.


Looking to go vegan? Check out these related posts below!

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!