Thursday, September 27, 2012

Vegan Book Review: Chef AJ's Unprocessed


Even though I'm in my mid-20s, I am still learning my way around my kitchen. When I started my plant-based journey, I gathered up all of the books, documentaries and research that I could find to educate myself on my new lifestyle. One of the books Dr. Linda Carney recommended was Chef AJ's Unprocessed. Since then it was on my must-read list and I was delighted to be contacted by Chef AJ personally to review the copy she sent me.

Upon reading her life story and what drew her to a plant-based lifestyle, I immediately felt connected to the information she presented. I've been researching the benefits of plant-based diets for months, but Chef AJ brought some new perspectives to the subject that I hadn't previously considered before. While we all have different inspirations and journeys that bring us to this lifestyle, I feel that her proposed method of implementing these changes will resonate with many people! 

The book is broken into two main acts: part one, which details Chef AJ's own journey, why readers should eat unprocessed and how to follow-through, and part two, which includes 100 easy and nutritious plant-based recipes. The insight into Chef AJ's life provides a sense of hope and encouragement that I admire. She is open and honest about her journey which gives the reader a sense of motivation to take charge of their own health. 

The first act of the book features a down-to-earth approach to going plant-based, avoiding processed foods, taking charge of your health, a comparison of processed and unprocessed foods and how to transition. The second act is broken into eight categories of recipes, including desserts, appetizers, beverages, entrees, salads and dressings, soups, sides and truffles. 

I've bookmarked many recipes (Perfect Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms, Sweet Potato and Blue Corn Enchiladas and Easy, Cheesy, Peasies to name a few!) and I can't wait to try them out. This book has motivated my husband and I to cut sugars out of our diets and incorporate even more variety of plant-based foods. 

Check back for an exclusive interview with Chef AJ, which will be posted soon! For more information on Chef AJ or Unprocessed, please check out her site.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!