Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Restaurant Review: Counter Culture


I can't say it enough, but I am so lucky to live in Austin, Texas. We have a super vegan-friendly city and plenty of places to dine if you're following a plant-based diet. One of many new favorites places to dine is Counter Culture! They began as a food truck in February 2009 and transitioned into a brick-and-mortar restaurant in April 2012 offering a wide range of vegan food on their menu.

Shortly after they opened, I brought a car full of non-vegans in to try out their brunch. We devoured the plates of stuffed french toast and seasonal omelets. I was worried about what my omnivore friends and family would think, but they were the first to say it tasted amazing. 

My second trip to Counter Culture was in mid-July at an ATX Vegan Drinks event where they served wine and cheeze. My coworker and I each had a cheeze plate which featured several types of cheezes made in-house and different breads to spread them on. I also had a plate of pesto rawviolis stuffed with cashew cheeze with a side of garlicky greens that was simply delectable.

In early November, Counter Culture was advertising a Thanksgiving Sandwich on their Facebook page with seitan, gravy and cranberry sauce. A couple of coworkers and I ventured out to try this that very day. The sandwiches were the perfect tip o' the hat to a traditional Thanksgiving meal. One coworker tried the Spicy Raw Pad Thai, which he said was really tasty. We also tried the Spicy Baked Artichoke Dip, a creamy spread to top the assortment of breads they provided. Since I knew I couldn't go home that night empty handed, I also ordered a Hot Apple/Pear/Cranberry Crisp to-go! 

This is some seriously good food that's approved by vegans and omnivores alike! Check out their restaurant in East Austin at 2337 East Cesar Chavez. They always have some specials that are creative and will be sure to satisfy your cravings for seasonal dishes. 

Above: Raw Pad Thai
Above: Thanksgiving Sandwich
Above: Hot Apple/Pear/Cranberry Crisp
Above: Cheeze Plate

Counter Culture on Urbanspoon
Counter Culture Vegan on Foodio54

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.