Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sell your crap. Pay off your debt. Do what you love.


For a few weeks now, my husband and I have held many discussions concerning minimalism and what are goals and dreams are. The only debt that is holding me back are his student loans. They are manageable at best, and we've gnawed them down a bit since we started paying them off on our own a year and a half ago. I feel it's pretty normal to feel burdened by them and want to pay them off. I've never felt like I could just let them sit and accrue even more interest.

So what's our plan? I've promised Kendan that I wouldn't spend any more money on anything other than essentials including food, bills, rent and gas. No more shopping for hours and bringing home a bag of clothes (even if they only cost me $10). Although I still struggle with going out to eat, we have decided to only try out new places for me to blog about.

I feel that veganism has retrained my thought process and pushed me to reevaluate other areas in my life. After changing my eating habits, dropping some weight, beginning to purge and dedicating more time to The Little Red Journal, I've come to realize a few other important things. Life is what we make of it and we're capable of making transitions and changes if we're inspired enough. 

Through my search into minimalism recently, I have been researching what others perceive as minimalist and trying to see where it fits in with my life. Yesterday we watched a short TED talk below by Adam Baker on how he found his freedom and happiness by ridding his life of all the stuff and crap that was holding he and his family back. His message? Sell your crap. Pay off your debt. Do what you love. It's pretty inspiring and got me thinking. What if we don't go by the script? I always thought I may have a different path ahead of me, but I just didn't know where it was headed. 



Tonight I was doing some more browsing and found that Adam had a website and also a movie that just released on Friday. The timing couldn't have been better. I've been on a kick the whole weekend, pacing the house and picking up something and saying, "Do I really need this?!" Once I saw the trailer below for I'm Fine, Thanks, I knew we had to see it. I just finished the movie and it may have sparked something more in me. Possibly a tipping point. Tune in and see how it all unfolds! (I'm still not sure yet!)




Looking to embrace a minimalist lifestyle? Check out my posts below!

Cutting the Clutter: The 5 C's to More Happiness
5 Lessons I've Learned by Decluttering
Top 5 Reasons for Cutting the Clutter
Cutting the Clutter: Kitchen Revamp
Embracing a Minimalist Lifestyle

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

1 comment:

  1. Good job. I like your minimalist approach. All the best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!