Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Chocolate Ganache Spread & Icing


After ten months of being vegan, I finally decided to make some homemade chocolate cupcakes and icing. I used Happy Herbivore's Chocolate Cupcake recipe, but searched for nearly half an hour for a chocolate icing that I could make. I'm not super picky, but I didn't want vegan butter or oil in my recipe, and I couldn't find anything that didn't have one or the other.

Finally I gave up and chose a recipe that was close, but omitted the oil and replaced almond milk for the water. The results: the most amazing chocolate ganache spread I've ever tasted in my life. And I LOVE chocolate, so I would know! Enjoy this recipe and spread it on cupcakes, cakes or anything else you can think of!

Chocolate Ganache Spread & Icing
yields 1.5 cups

1 c. sugar
6 Tbsp. cornstarch
4 Tbsp. cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. almond milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla

1. Whisk sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, salt and milk in a small saucepan on med-high heat until boiling, stirring constantly.
2. Once the icing has thickens to your desired consistency, remove from heat and add vanilla.
3. Allow to cool before icing cupcakes.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!