Monday, July 15, 2013

DIY Mini Banner Garland Decor

I am quite the Pinterest addict. I'll sometimes take a long break from the site, and then find myself getting sucked in to all the beautiful photos and projects that await. I loved several of the mini-banner garlands that I kept seeing and vowed to make one of my own one day. This project started over a year ago and over this past weekend, I finally finished it. I promise it doesn't take more than a couple of hours total, but you'll need some patience.

Supplies
Scrapbook paper in a variety of patterns and colors
Needle
White thread (or color of your choice)
Scissors
Piece of cardboard/cardstock
Pencil

Instructions:
1. Draw a triangle (or heart, circle, etc.) onto a piece of cardboard or cardstock as a template.
2. Using the template, trace the shape onto the blank side of your scrapbook paper.
2. Cut out all of the shapes on the scrapbook paper. For reference, I used 96 mini-banners for my kitchen garland.
3. Decide on the pattern that you'd like for your garland. I mixed up my solids and patterned papers to spread out the color.
4. Begin threading your garland. Push the needle from the front, thread behind the banner, then back through the front. Push the banners pretty far down your piece of thread to make room for all of them.
5. Stop every so often and gauge if you need to move down your banners to allow for enough length in your garland. Mine was roughly 16 feet, but I swagged the garland every couple of feet or so, and it needed the extra length.
6. Once you're done, you can lay out the garland on the floor and begin spacing the banners an inch apart.
7. After they are evenly spaced, hang wherever your heart desires. Mine went in my kitchen, and I absolutely love the color it brought into it. 

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!