Monday, June 23, 2014

Houston Vegan Eats Review: Aling's Indo-Chinese Cuisine


My husband recently received a raise at his job, and we decided to go out and celebrate. On the way home from work, I asked him to find a place to eat. By the time I walked in the door, he had already researched and found Aling's, a restaurant serving Indo-Chinese cuisine. I was intrigued and hadn't heard of this combination of food before. So, off we went to venture out to try a new style of food.

Upon arrival, a man came right up to us and took our drink order. He was cheerful and interested in what sort of food we were expecting and was quick to offer some suggestions that he thought we would like based on some quick questions he had asked us. There were many people working there, which was awesome, because they were completely packed. I just assumed this was one of the many busy employees taking orders and cleaning the tables. I wasn't wrong in guessing he did those things, but I was stunned to discover mid-way through our meal that he was, in fact, Gary Yan, an owner and chef of the restaurant.

He was accommodating of my vegan dietary restrictions and suggested the Vegetable Pakoras as an appetizer, the Chili Tofu (mild) for my dinner, a side of the vegetarian Aling's Fried Rice, and an Exotic Passion drink. We had a ton of food leftover and the dining experience was definitely something to remember.

As I watched Gary run from table to table, ensuring his customers were enjoying their meals, I had a deep sense of respect for the man. Each time I looked up, he was either in the kitchen (which I could see from our table), with a table offering suggestions for their food, or smiling and asking if we needed anything else. The custom spicing and strict attention to detail won me over, and we successfully celebrated my husband's new raise!

Exotic Passion drink.
Chili Tofu.
Aling's menu and history.
Vegetable Pakoras.

Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!