Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Healthy & Creamy Tomato Basil Soup


I love a good tomato basil soup and aimed to find a recipe that would satisfy my cravings during my pregnancy. The first time I made a recipe from Vegetarian Times, and then I modified it to be even creamier. One important ingredient that I'd like to call attention to is the can of Red Gold Crushed Tomatoes. I received these for a lasagna dish that I created (also using another kind of Red Gold tomatoes), and knew this would be the perfect addition to my soup. It's a superior product and I highly recommend Red Gold!

My husband and I tag-teamed this one in the kitchen and he helped to tweak it further. Enjoy this with some garlic bread or a vegan grilled cheese sandwich using Daiya cheddar style shreds.

Healthy & Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
yields 8 servings

Ingredients
2 medium white onions, chopped
4 Tbsp. olive oil
1-6 oz. can tomato paste
4 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. sugar
1-28 oz. can Red Gold Crushed Tomatoes
4 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 vegetable bouillon cube
1 c. water
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. oregano
2 c. unsweetened almond milk

Directions
1. Heat oil to saucepan over medium heat and add chopped onion. Saute for 3 minutes.
2. Add tomato paste, garlic, sugar, Red Gold Crushed Tomatoes, bouillon cube, water, and spices to saucepan and stir well.
3. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 12 minutes.
4. Add almond milk to saucepan and blend soup with immersion blender.
5. Serve warm with garlic bread or a grilled cheese sandwich.


Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Leave a comment!