Saturday, January 31, 2015

Healthy Vegan Coleslaw


My grandmother liked to give me a hard time about me being vegan, albeit in a loving way. She made an amazing coleslaw that happened to be vegan. She passed in October 2014, and while I was moving into our new home, I found this recipe laying in my nightstand drawer. I figured it was time to post it, and have added the recipe below. Enjoy in memory of my grandma!

Vegan Coleslaw
yields 12 servings

Ingredients
1 bag coleslaw mix
1/4 c. bell pepper
1/4 c. onion
2 stalks green onion shallots
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
1/8 c. vinegar
1/2 c. canola oil
1 Tbsp. poppyseed

Directions
1. Add coleslaw mix, bell pepper, onion, and shallots together and toss well in a bowl.
2. Mix dry mustard, salt, and sugar together and add to vinegar and oil, stirring until thick.
3. Combine all ingredients and add poppyseed until well mixed.
4. Chill coleslaw until ready to serve.


Kelsey is a passionate vegan living in Houston, Texas, spreading the word about the benefits of eating a healthy, plant-based diet. She's also a minimalist enthusiast, a self-proclaimed financial guru of her household, and founder of The Little Red Journal.